HOUSEHOLD GARBAGE AND RECYCLING COLLECTION
The Township of Beckwith provides weekly curbside collection of residential waste and recycling for single family homes.
Household garbage and recycling collection takes place on Monday for all residents living west of Highway #15 and Tuesday for all residents living east of Highway #15. Please note the only time collection is interrupted is on the statutory holidays of Christmas or New Year’s Day.
Pick-up times for curbside garbage and recycling may vary from week to week; residents should have their garbage and recycling at the curbside by 7:00 a.m. on their scheduled day for curbside collection.
Each garbage bag must be tagged with 1 Township of Beckwith sticker in a visible place. Residents receive an annual allotment of 80 stickers each calendar year. Additional tags may be purchased at a price of $2.00 per sticker. Stickers are available at the Municipal Office at the end of December. Residents, who are unable to come pick up their allotment, must provide written permission to another person.
Waste Recycling Strategy – A Waste Recycling Strategy July 2012 final (2)
Waste Management and Collection By-Law – Waste By-law No. 2012-31
Waste Management Pamphlet – 2018 Garbage Brochure
LARGE ITEM PICK-UP
Residents who wish to dispose of large items may do so on the first full week without a holiday of the month on your collection date beginning April and running through to October. Each large item MUST have 3 stickers affixed to the item.
Bundles of waste must be securely tied and must not exceed 1.5 m x 60 cm x 60 cm in dimension and 20 kg in weight. Carpet bundles must not exceed 1.5 me in length and 20 kg in weight.
Large metal items such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and dehumidifiers must have the FREON removed with the appropriate Freon Removed Sticker. Examples of large items include: hot water tanks, mattress, bed frame, barbeque (no propane tank) stoves, washer and dryer.
Construction material will not be collected. Uncollectible waste should be taken to either the Beckwith Transfer Station located at 9271 Cavanagh Road (613-257-1195) or Glenview Iron and Metal located at 3954 Highway 43 (613-283-5230). Residents will be responsible for the fee associated with the drop off.
Large Item Pick-up Dates for 2020
|April 6th||April 7th|
|May 4th||May 5th|
|June 1st||June 2nd|
|July 6th||July 7th|
|August 10th||August 11th|
|September 14th||September 15th|
|October 5th||October 6th|
Recycling will now be picked up at the same time as waste, so it is essential that both (recycling and waste) be at the curb no later than 7 a.m.
Recyclables will only be collected if they are placed in, or next to, a blue box!
* Metal – Aluminum and steel food and beverage bottles and containers, foil and plates, EMPTY aerosol cans
* Paper and Cardboard – Paper cups, fine print, paper, flyers, newspaper, books, egg cartons, magazines, envelopes, boxboard, brochures and polycoat containers (i.e. gable tops, Tetra Pak, frozen juice containers, milk and juice cartons)
* Glass – Clear and coloured food and beverage bottles, jars & containers
* Plastics (#1 – #7) – Bottles, jugs, tubs. lids and rigid packaging and containers from food, beverage and household products (i.e. shampoo, ice cream, yoguart, clearshells)
Please rinse containers
Remove caps – recycle separately
No need to remove labels
HAZARDOUS WASTE DEPOT
The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility at 128 Patterson Crescent will reopen on Saturday, July 25th from 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon. Residents will be required to wear a mask while onsite. If you are displaying any symptoms of COVID-19, we request that you refrain from using the HHW.
Hazardous Waste Depot Ad – Aug 2020
There are a few new requirements when using the depot. so you are aware of these requirements before travelling some distance to our facility:
- Residents are asked to have their waste items in cardboard boxes, or other containers that they do not want returned. Bins and containers will not be returned, this includes waste oil containers.
- Residents are asked to have their waste ready in the rear of their vehicle, clearly identified, so that staff can easily collect the items while maintaining separation from residents.
- Residents are asked to wear a mask as they approach the depot and especially while communicating with staff through their window.
- Proof of residency is required! The Household Hazardous Waste facility is limited to residents of Carleton Place, Mississippi Mills, Beckwith, Drummond/North Elmsley, Montague, Smiths Falls, and Perth only. (I like to include this as posts can travel on social media)
- We are asking everyone to be patient with HHW staff as we are anticipating a large volume of vehicles during the initial weeks that the facility will be open.
The Hazardous Waste Depot is open on Saturdays beginning May 2020 to August 2020 from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. (noon) located at 128 Patterson Crescent (Town of Carleton Place). Beckwith residents will be required to show proof of address.
Household hazardous waste is any product that is poisonous, corrosive, flammable or explosive and included items such as:
|Aerosol Containers||Fluorescent Tubes and Bulbs||Paints, Coatings,(and their containers)|
|Air Tanks||Fungicides (and their containers)||Photographic Chemicals|
|Alcohols||Gasoline/Diesel Fuel||Pool Chemicals|
|Antifreeze (empty containers)||Herbicides (and their containers)||Portable Fire Extinguishers|
|Antifreeze (and the containers)||Insecticides (and their containers)||Pressurized Containers (propane tanks and cylinders)|
|Automatic Transmission Fluid||Lead Acid||Propane Tanks|
|Barometers||Linseed Oil||Rechargeable Batteries|
|Beverage Gas Tanks||Lubricating Oil Containers (of 30L or less)||Single Use Dry Cell Batteries|
|Butane Lighters||Medical Lab Gas Tanks||Solvent (and their containers)|
|Camping Fuel||Mineral Spirits||Specialty Gas Tanks|
|Car Wax (with solvent)||Mothballs||Thermostats|
|Chlorine Bleach||Used Oil Filters||Turpentine|
|Concrete Etchers||Oil Paint Stain||Used Motor Oil|
|Drain Cleaners||Paint Stripper||Windshield Washer Fluid|
|Fertilizers (and their containers)||Paint Thinner||Flea Collars/Spray|
|Pesticides (and their containers)|
The following items are NOT acceptable:
* Fluorescent Light Ballasts
* Smoke Detectors
* Construction Waste
Please contact Carleton Place Public Works at 613-257-2253, if you have any questions.
BRUSH DEPOT CLOSED UNTIL SEPTEMBER 2020
NOTICE OF CHANGE TO THE BRUSH DEPOT OPERATIONS
Public Works Garage ~ 1644th Line Beckwith
Hours of Operation:
Wednesday’s ~ 3:00 p.m. ~ 7:00 p.m. ~ May 1st ~ September 1st
Saturday’s ~ 8:00 a.m. ~ 12:00 p.m. ~ April 1st ~ October 1st
Load drop off = 3 Garbage Tag Stickers
Out of Township rate is $50.00 per load
NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
Brush Depot Staff have the right to refuse the dumping of a load of brush if there is foreign material such as stumps, wood or lumber scraps contained in the load.
Looking for Mulch?
Come by the Public Works Yard from April ~ May 31st during the Brush Depot Hours and Public Works will load the mulch for you with the backhoe.
CHRISTMAS TREE DEPOT
Residents can drop off your Christmas tree behind the Public Works Garage located at 1644 9th Line Beckwith. Residents are reminded to remove all accessories from the Christmas tree, including lights, ornaments, decorations, and stand.